Thursday, April 21, 2011

Metaphors







1.) I didn't quite miss the metaphor in the speech. I thought it was a metaphor I just didn't think I had to mention that it was. I think people miss these types of things because they think to hard into it or don't think about it enough. I've missed things before similar to this and I think its because I tend to over think things instead of just going with it. My teachers have told me before that I need to stop taking things so literally and stop second guessing myself.

2.) I realized that I do use a lot of metaphors myself. The other day I was telling my son to not be such a "couch potato" and to go to the park.
image
3.)  I think we can help students understand what metaphors are by using them in the classroom and explaining what they are as well.


4.) Good metaphors help us think of things and understand things as well as sounding funny or being fun to say. If you'd like to know more check out this Site.

1 comment:

  1. I liked what you had to say about metaphors. I do the same thing sometimes though; like second-guessing myself or taking things too literally. School can be stressful when, like me, you take it too seriously. We do use a lot more metaphors than we realize though. Our world is permeated with metaphors, euphamisms, and double meaning. We say them sometimes to avoid hurting someone's feelings, conceal parts of the truth, or to protect ourselves. I think I missed the metaphor in "Tom Johnson"'s post because I was simply burnt out! I think a lot of people may have also because, the more blogs and things you have to read, you lose some of your interest in all of it. But after I realized that I missed the metaphor I did go back and read it more than once!
    Good post! I thought the couch potato part was pretty funny. :)

    ReplyDelete