Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blog Post #10

Wordle: Untitled

Morgan Bayda,  is a elementary teacher from Saskatchewan, Canada, she posted an article on her blog . She speaks about how she dislikes the way Universities are teaching theses days and how they havent changed the way they teach.  She winders why we arent teaching with more relevent methods. We need to keepupwith todays technology and todays exciting ways to teach. She had posted a video in her blog about a guy who says he stopped going to school because the ways they tought was getting in way of his learning.


I have been going to school for about 18 years and I have learned that I am a hands on learner and other times I have learned by listening if its a subject I am interested in.  Alot of teachers teach in different way but they are always taught to teach the standards and it sometimes get in the way of letting them teach fun and exciting lesson like they want to. Most of my professors are very intellegent and know mass amounts of material in their field but just because they know the material doessnt mean they are great at teaching it.

I have taken all sorts of classes. I have taken online, in class, and online and in class combo classes. I enjoy being in class because I love listening to the teaching and their own stories, plus I hate reading and their is a lot of that online. Online you are your own teacher for the most part. I usually take online courses because I dont have the time to o to class and sometimes it hasnt fit into my schedule of classes. Sometimes I dont learn a whole lot when I take classes online so I try not to take them if i dont have to.



John Spencer's Pencil Integration blog post talked about standardized testing and keeping the scores high. I understand that we need to be teaching the information on the tests so that they can score high and pass the tests but I feel like there is so much pressure on testing thses days. Id you give children the right tool and teach them well I believe the knowlegde the end up having and the more they retain is not measurable by test but better.

1 comment:

  1. Rachael,

    As you can see from Morgan and Dan, education needs to change to better help students succeed. They are not being taught, and they certainly are not engaged in the lessons being stated by the teacher. Simply memorizing facts is not an effective way to learn, so as teachers, we need to teach our students how to learn. I hope we can bring change to our students.

    From Dr. Strange: It seems that you did not understand that Tom Johnspn's post Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home was a metaphor in which pencils were computers. I will complete my post Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them (A Learning Opportunity) later this week. After this post appears on the Class Blog you will be required to leave a comment. Watch the Class Blog for further instructions.

    ReplyDelete