Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blog post #3

A Vision of Students Today-
Watch Video

 I personally loved this video. I liked the things they put in the video that bring problems to light. Such as paying hundreds of dollars for textbooks that are never used. Or students are playing on their computers in class instead of using them like they should be. Sometimes I feel we shouldn’t be buying textbooks when most of the things we need to use we can find on our computers anyways .I hate the fact that most teachers don’t know many of their student because the class sizes are anywhere from 50-100 students. I know this can’t always be helped because students need school and there is a shortage on teachers but you would also think that the students that pay for a class would at least show up.

"Its not about the technology"
Read the blog
 I do believe that we don’t need to be completely technology literate although I do consider myself to be technologically savvy. I believe that teachers should be open minded and willing to keep up with the modern day technology because the kids we teach are going to be and it’s only a matter of time until the technology that we use is introduce in our elementary classrooms.

"Its okay to be technologically illiterate teacher?"
View page
I think that it is not okay to be technologically illiterarte in todays society. For one we are very advanced and it would be best if everyine had some knowledge when it comes to technology. Also I think its safe to say that if you have it you may also have a one up on someone you interview against for a job if you have it and they do not. I dont think that you wont ever be able to find a job or live without it. I just believe that life is better with it and its best to keep up with our world or else your going to be left behind. There are plenty of teachers out there who have been teaching 20+ years and still do things the same way (without technology) because that is how they started and they are comfortable doing it this way. If you are getting great results from the children then do whatever it takes. There are plenty of ways to keep the students interested in what you are teaching without using high tech devices. Also many schools cannot afford these things such as laptops and smart boards.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this video as well. I think that "A Vision of Students Today" was an eye opener. While it is true that students who are spending good money on their education are not showing up for class the question that we must ask is WHY? When we become educators it will be important for us as teachers to find the roots of problems because you cannot solve a problem unless you know WHY the problem is occurring. I, as well, can relate to the textbook situation. There have been semesters where I have spent hundreds of dollars on textbooks and wouldn't even crack them open one time the entire semester. One of the good things about South Alabama is that their average class size is about 25-30 students.

    I am not sure if I am missing where you wrote your other articles for me to comment on but if you catch up just let me know so I can comment on those as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rachael,

    I think that there are many ways, like you said, that teachers can use technology that are not difficult, even if they don't have a Smartboard in their classroom.

    What happened to your comments about the social media count?

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete