Friday, February 11, 2011

Blog 4

"Dont teach your kids this"
 I believe that we should watch our children on the computers. Go to blog There are planty of horrible things on them but also if you have blocked sites and teach them how to porperly use the computer there shouldnt be to many problems. Also if you but the computer out in the open at your home and in the classroom then children are less likely to do unappropraite things with them.

"The Ischool"
Watch Video
This is crazy. This idea is as I said crazy in many ways. For one i think its an amazing Idea but also I cant believe we have become so technologically advanced that something like this is possible. I love entertaining the idea of it saving the universe by being "Green". Im not sure how many people are actually open to this idea though. I feel I dont know enough about it to give a 100% evaluation of it. He says it cost $150 but do you have to pay monthly like you do with a phone? Is it just for classes because some sites are bloccked? If im paying monthly it may as well work for other purposes.

Also, many students in my class did a survey the other day and said they would much rather pay for a book that is being handed to them (which was over $100) rather than get a ebook for $12. This because we have been having problems with online comunications. So what if a phone get broken? freezes? what then, we miss those assignments. I like the opportunity to do online classes because it fits in with my lifestyle. I will admit that personally I learn alot more when I am in class and enjoy having a teacher student relationship. Theres someone there to answer your questions and go in depth and you also learn alot of other things from them you wouldnt normally. Going to class also keeps you socialized and alot of people need to work on there people skill and learn how to communicate better verbally rather than texting, email or chat.

"Lost Generation"
Watch Video
I enjoyed this video. I feel that we are heading into the deep end as a society. I also feel that we can change the outcome of our future before things get worse. The things we do now effect our future. The things we teach our children and the kids in our classroom will determine the outcome of our lives and our earth. We are workoholics. We need to focus more on our earth and our families. The future generation is depending on us and we are depending on them. So the knowledge we give to them matter. The things we do also make a difference because, they see what we do.

"Teaching in the 21st century"
Watch Video
I do like the thought of having updated technology in the classroom. I feel that we need to do what it take to keep the children engaged in interested in what they are learning. So if it takes the new and improved technology to keep the chikdrens eyes fixated on what im trying to teach them rather than falling asleep I am all for it. Im questionable on the topic of every kid playing or using electronics in the classroom all day long but I will be using some myself to teach my lessons. I believe that students should be familiar with the tecnology that is out there to stay up to date and help further their education. By helping them do this I hope to have most students become tecnologically literate because as you see the world is evolving and most things are transitioning to pure technology.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    Don’t teach your kids this-
    I also agree that computers can be both negative but also believe that if used properly we can use them to our advantage. Blocking sites for smaller children would be a good idea to eliminate some of the negatives that computers may have.

    The ischool Initiative-
    I also liked the idea of the ischool initiative. I liked it because it seems like it would be more organized. The only problem that I had is will our students be able to do this at such an early age? Another question that I had was, will the school provide this money for an iphone or will this be coming out of the parents or guardians pocket?
    I also agree that being in the classroom is a great thing, especially with smaller kids because you can teach one on one and have a teacher/student relationship. Plus, an online class from my experience, I can easily get distracted and for smaller kids this could be a problem.

    Lost generation-
    I totally agree with you when you say that we control our future and we are setting up our own future as we speak. I agree that when being both inside the school and outside we must remember that we are role models and we need to pretend that we are always being watched.

    Teaching in the 21st century-
    I agree that we can use technology to our advantage. Having technology in the classrooms can keep the children interested. This can be a new technique to teaching children. I know that when children see something new and unusual that is in the classroom of course they are going to be interested, it’s something totally different!!! As teachers I think that if we expect our students to know how to operate certain technology than so should we. We should be educated, so in turn we can educate our students on how to properly use it. Technology is taking over and we need to stay up to date as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael,

    I like that you mentioned teaching out kids how to use a computer properly. In reality, isn't EVERYTHING dangerous? You have a son, so what are you doing to do to protect him? Keep him under house arrest until he's of age? Of course not! You'll teach him the do's and the don'ts! Stay on the sidewalk, don't talk to strangers, etc.

    Great post, but where is your response to the Virtual Choir?

    - Allie

    ReplyDelete